It’s reading & blogging reflection time! The End of Year Book Survey is created by Jamie of The Perpetual Page Turner, and I’m really excited to participating in this creative & fun way to reflect back on 2017. I’m going to do my best to not use the same books for each answer, but here’s a sorry, but not sorry warning for the abundance of Vicious love.
Number of Books I Read: 91
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre I Read The Most From: Contemporary
1. Best Book You Read In 2017? Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera. I love Adam Silvera and while I didn’t dislike They Both Die at the End, it just didn’t live up to the hype for me.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Good surprise here! Bonfire by Krysten Ritter
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley. Whenever I saw someone talk about Words in Deep Blue in their TBR posts, I screamed at encouraged them to pick it up soon.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Best series: Vicious by V.E. Schwab
Best sequel: Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Best series ender: Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Debut author: Sandhya Menon
New-to me author: Francesca Zappia
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Thriller- There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Warcross by Marie Lu fits all three categories for me!
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Vicious by V.E. Schwab and Warcross by Marie Lu in anticipation for their sequels.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
TOO MANY CHOICES, BUT HERE’S ONE SO THAT YOUR FINGERS DON’T CRAMP TOO MUCH: The Smell of Other People’s Houses by Bonnie Sue-Hitchcock
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Mitch from Vicious by V.E. Schwab. I’ll always remember a character who likes chocolate milk.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Made You Up by Francesca Zappia
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
THIS HAMILTON-ESQUE PASSAGE FROM ALWAYS AND FOREVER, LARA JEAN
“In truth, if Kitty’s anyone, she’s a Jefferson. Wily, stylish, quick with a comeback. Margot’s an Angelica, no question. She’s been sailing her own ship since she was a little girl. She’s always known who she was and what she wanted. I suppose I’m an Eliza, though I’d much rather be an Angelica. In truth,I’m probably And Peggy. But I don’t want to be the And Peggy of my own story. I want to be the Hamilton” (102).
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest: Passing by Nella Larsen (122 pages)
Longest: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas (705 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
The Female of the Species by Mindy McGiniis
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Nesta and Cassian from the A Court of Thorn and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Aled and Frances from Radio Silence by Alice Oseman
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
My Not-So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Recommendation courtesy of EVERYONE
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Max from The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord. I picked up The Start of Me and You after loving The Names They Gave Us and it ended up being one of my favorite books of the summer (*insert wistful & fond memories of me floating around the pool reading this one here*)
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Warcross by Marie Lu.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
I Believe in a Thing Caled Love by Maureen Goo
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Meet Me at the Cupcake Café by Jenny Colgan
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Mauren Goo. PLEASE DON’T MAKE APPA SAD.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
Super Space Chick
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
I, Eliza Hamilton by Susan Holloway Scott
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
My Experience Seeing Hamilton
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Book Con 2017
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
STARTING my blog
Going to ALL the book signings – Book Con (Rainbow Rowell, Marie Lu, Adam Silvera, Meg Kassel, E.Lockhart, Sarah J. Maas, Jenny Han, McCall Hoyle), Jacqueline Woodson, and Jennifer E. Smith
Receiving an ARC of I, Eliza Hamilton by Susan Holloway Scott from Kensington Books
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Choosing to read over doing schoolwork…Balancing college life with my reading and blogging life.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My Saturday at Book Con 2017
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My Experience Seeing Waitress the Musical
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I don’t have any myself, but bookish Funko Pops. I love seeing posts from Page with a Pop in my Instagram feed.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed my goal of reading at least 58 book this year, meaning that I’ve read over 200 books from 2015 to 2017
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Just one answer for this question is not applicable.
Save the Date by Morgan Matson
Vengeful by VE Schwab
Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Warcross #2 by Marie Lu
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Every reader’s dream: Find more bookshelf space
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
A Taxonomy of Love by Rachael Allen
Thank you for supporting Fangirl Fury. I hope you have happy & healthy New Year filled with plenty of books and adventures.